Search Angie's Recipes


Angel Cake Roll




A light, moist, and tender angel cake roll is a wonderful treat at any time! The blueberry jam filling, which was supposed to provide a contrast to the white cake, makes the cake a bit messy. It tastes great by itself and definitely worth trying!

  • 35 g All-purpose flour
  • 45 g Cornstarch
  • 1 tsp Vanilla powder
  • 2 tbsp Raisins, or 1/2 tbsp Poppy seeds, optional
  • 6-7 / 200 g Egg whites
  • ½ tsp White vinegar or lemon juice
  • 1/ 4 tsp Salt
  • 100 g White sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp Blueberry Jam
  1. Whisk together flour, starch and vanilla powder and sift. Prepare a 11x13-inch or two 9x7-inch baking trays lined with parchment paper. Evenly sprinkle raisins or poppy seeds over if using. Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
  2. Beat egg whites, salt and vinegar in the mixing bowl of a table mixer until foamy. Add in sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually sift the flour mixture into the whipped egg whites and fold until the batter is well-combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 15 minutes or so.
  3. Immediately invert the cake to cool for about 5 minutes on a rack and peel off the baking paper. Place the cake on a parchment paper or plastic film, with the baked side up and raisin side down, and spread cake with jam to within 1 inch of edges. From the narrow side roll the cake up tightly. Chill the cake roll for 1 hour and slice to serve.


16 comments:

Joie de vivre 7/4/09 17:04

First of all, this looks incredible! I've always wanted to try making a rolled sponge cake but have been sort of intimidated.

Second, thank you for your comments on my site. Why do we do that to ourselves? Finding a balance is so hard. I have heard of Pu'er tea but have yet to try it. I didn't know that it was good for digestion. Thanks for the information!

[Reply]
Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) 7/4/09 17:13

Angie-this looks great!Brought back memories from school.We had baking classes for EC activity and I got the Swiss Rolls for my exam-it had rolled out beautifully when I had practiced at home,but on the D-day it broke and ended up looking more like sandwiches ;-)He,he he,it must have tasted good because I managed to get a "B"!!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 7/4/09 18:48

@Joie de vivre
Well, I guess that belongs to being a woman!

@Sweta
Oh, yes, tastes speaks louder than the shape.

[Reply]
Lavanya 7/4/09 20:19

ahhhhh..nice one angie..yester day only i thought of making this..my husabnd is fearing to become fat here without any physical work :)
so i didint make ....looks yummy!!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 8/4/09 06:35

@lavanya
Tell your hubby that he is more than welcome to help you with the kitchen work, for example, dish washing or drying, floor cleaning, etc. etc.

[Reply]
Kim (The Paper Aproness) 9/4/09 04:41

This looks like a masterpiece and yet you've made it seem simple enough that I may be able to give it a try. It looks like you have a great blog going. I'm glad I ran across you on Food Buzz.

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 9/4/09 06:34

@Kim
A big welcome!
The cake is truly not difficult to make once one gets the hang of making a meringue.
Thank you so much for stopping by.

[Reply]
Reeni 9/4/09 15:46

Hi Angie, I don't know why you weren't on my bloglist anymore. I have been working on my page changing templates and design and for some reason some of my stuff was lost. I have you back on now. Reeni

[Reply]
Jessica604 9/4/09 18:32

Mmm....you're on a cake rolling-roll! ('scuse the pun. :) Both cake rolls look great - I always wondered how they got that "tiger skin" on the specialty ones!

I've tried making cake / swiss rolls before but they always turned out drier than I'd hoped. I guess I just have to try again.

Beautiful blog!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 9/4/09 19:06

@Jessica
Oh, ja, the one and only cake I could enjoy all the time without worrying much about the calories is Chiffon typed cakes. :p
A sheet of Swiss roll (40x30cm more or less) would need 18-22 minutes at 190C-200C/375F-400F to bake. If you use an oven with upper and lower temperature control, then decrease the lower burner slightly.

[Reply]
Anonymous 14/10/10 13:52
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]
Anonymous 24/12/12 17:21
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]
Anonymous 7/1/13 16:15
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]
Anonymous 30/10/16 09:24
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]
Anonymous 1/12/16 05:45
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]
Anonymous 13/7/17 17:34
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top